Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Salvaged Wood Chalkboard





A few years ago I found this odd piece of wood in an old building.  I have no idea what it's original purpose was but I took it home and in the garage it went.  I had always intended to make something out of it.  Whenever  I saw it sitting out there all dusty and covered with cobwebs nothing ever came to mind.  I mean, look at it.  Strange hole in the center, feet on the bottom and plywood on top. But still, I could never bring myself to throw it away.  It even made a couple moves with me.  Somehow I always felt it still had a life to live.  Those turnings where so pretty and the piece seemed old and it was very sturdy.  Then one day out of the blue, I had it.  Of course, it would make a perfect chalkboard/menu board.  I didn't say anything to Mr. K, he would have just shook his head and said "really".  
Finally, I had my vision for the piece, so out to the garage I went to retrieve it, cobwebs and all.



I cleaned it up,  removed stray nails and brought out my trusty chalk paint.  It actually took 2 coats to cover that dark old stain.  


  I added a wooden finials, on the top corners, to give it a more finished look. I found a piece of 1/4" lauan plywood in the garage and cut it to fit, covering the center and the hole.  This center piece got 2 coats of chalkboard paint. Then I added a piece of lace around the top edge. It needed to fit with my shabby chic decor.

Here it is sitting on my stove before the finials I ordered had arrived.
 With my glue gun I added a few mulberry flowers at the base of each turning and at the top center. And then couple of French inspired button tags I get from a great little shabby chic shop in Nevada City.  Also hot glued a small piece of trim on the center bottom ledge to hold the chalk from falling.



It took many years to decide what to do with this piece but I am glad I never threw it out.
It sits on my buffet with a seasonal greeting or special menus.





No comments:

Post a Comment