Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Altered Steamer Trunk


Mr. K and I where headed out to lunch one afternoon when I noticed a beat up old trunk on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it.
Whoa I said.  Did you see that?  He immediately turned the car around, dropped me off and headed back home for the SUV. Yes.  Score.

I can't seem to find the before picture but it was pretty sad. The handles where missing, leather was gone, and the lid and the tray where cracked and stained.


So I got the Kilz paint and gave the whole thing a primer coat to seal all the stains. Then I gave it a coat of white homemade chalk paint.  The metal pieces I painted with a Martha Stewart silver from Home Depot  and a few touches aqua on the leather and trim.



The inside of the tray I lined the bottom with papers from my favorite paper pad, DCWV Primrose.  The edges I covered with an aqua gimp. The left front of the tray is missing, I used a piece of beautiful lace from Tresor Deluxe to cover the missing section. Then more of their laces in the lid.


View of vintage book pages and flowers
On the inside of the lid and around the inside of the bottom of the trunk I cut cardboard pieces to fit snugly and wallpapered them with pages from a vintage book.  Added lace, dyed seam binding bows, flowers, and pearls.  I gave all the pages a coat of Mod Podge to protect the pages.

Lid Detail



No comments:

Post a Comment