Monday, October 12, 2015

Up Cycled Tin Can Cookie Jar




I created a cookie jar out of an empty tin can, silver tray and crystal lid.

I found the crystal lid and silver tray at a thrift store awhile back.  They where priced at less then $5.00 for both.
I had them sitting around in my stash with no idea what I would make with them .
After I emptied this very large can that contained instant mashed potatoes I just couldn't bring myself to throw it out.





Then I saw something similar on Pinterest.
I first cleaned everything really well and polished the inside of the silver tray.  I used  E6000 to glue the crystal lid to the silver tray making sure it was completely glued and airtight.  I wanted the silver tray to not tarnish inside the lid.  I really like the sparkle when the lights shines on it.
While the lid was drying I cut a piece of scrapbook paper to fit around the can and used Mod Podge to glue it to the can.  Making sure to press the paper into all the ridges of the can, leaving no gaps. 

 When that was dry I coated the whole exterior with Mod Podge and let that dry.  Once dry I cut a piece of white lace and glued it to the can with hot glue.  Wrapped that with a piece of coffee died seam binding which I threaded a couple of flower petals through from my stash and tied a bow.  Added a touch of hot glue to the back side of the bow to make sure it wouldn't slip down.

The overall cookie jar measures almost 12" high and almost 7" wide.

Now I will have to bake some cookies to fill the cookie jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment