Monday, August 8, 2016

Tripod Lamp -Pottery Barn Inspired





I have been wanting a floor lamp that I could use over my worktable.

I have seen Tripod lamps at stores like Pottery Barn and West Elm that would be perfect but they run $100.00 to $400.00.  Way too much money to spend for a lamp as far as I am concerned.



I was lucky enough to inherit one of my Grandfather's camera and tripod.  They have been sitting around the house for years.  I use the camera in seasonal displays along with other vintage items from time to time.  



But the tripod has just been in the corner stored in it's leather case.



My Grandfather was a great photographer in the late 1800's and early 1900's.   I know that sounds like a long time ago, but my family has a very long life span.  One of his brother's had a drivers license at 100 years old.  I also inherited some of  his original glass photo plates with early pictures of Michigan and Los Angeles.  I would love someday to find someone who still knows how to develop those old glass plates.  I have heard there's now a digital method to make negatives from them with a special scanner. It would be so much fun to see those pictures developed again after all these years.

Well, back to my lamp.  One day I was looking at his tripod and the thought came to me, that would make a perfect lamp base.  I didn't want to alter the tripod, so I gave it some thought and came up with my easy lamp idea.

clip on utility lamp


So I gathered my supplies, the tripod, a metal clip on light and a LED light bulb.  That's it, instant lamp.  And one thing about using an actual tripod the lamp can be adjusted in height from floor height to table height and anywhere in between.   Also by using a LED light bulb the metal shade stays cool to the touch.


I just clipped the lamp to the top of the tripod and I had my new lamp.  Simple, quick and oh so bright.

I only spent  $10.23 to make my new lamp.  And the light is perfect and bright for working on detailed projects.  No more squinting under low light.




And best of all I found a new use for my Grandfather's vintage tripod.


Happy Crafting!








No comments:

Post a Comment