Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Vintage Market Globe




Last weekend I went to another local vintage fair.  This one is held once a month. Don't know how I had never heard of it before now.

I have been on the lookout for a small globe for some time that I could do a remake on.  There was a last chance room at the vintage fair where everything was marked way down and there it was.  The perfect little globe for what I had in mind.  It measures about 8 inches high.

It didn't look so perfect when I found the poor thing.  I did notice it was made of wood and was stamped on the bottom "Italy".  But the surface was scratched and the base was coming apart.

Not to worry though, it was easy enough to glue the base back together and patch the surface of the map.  I didn't care it had a scratched surface because I intended to paint the entire surface.

Before


I love the way it comes apart, spins and tilts.



My vision was to paint a globe in black and gold.  So here is the first coat of black and gold paint.  Not much of an improvement yet.


I added a second coat of paint.  For the gold I used Martha Stewart's liquid gold leaf.  Make sure to use this paint in a well ventilated area as it has some pretty strong fumes.

On the base I painted the columns flat black and the rest gold.

When the paint was dry I glued 4 crystals around the top edge of the stand and 4 on the bottom support, also 1 on the top of the globe.

What doesn't show in the photo is that I painted the vertical support for the globe itself gold on the edge and used a black shiny glitter black paint on the face.  I also coated the entire globe with a coat of glossy high luster Mod Podge when the paint was dry.

After


Before

Hard to tell this is the same little globe and here it is on my mantel setting on top of an antique book.  Now it looks like a piece you would find at one of those high end department stores.  Who would guess that I only paid $6.00 for this cute little globe.




Happy Crafting!






No comments:

Post a Comment