Friday, July 8, 2016

I Love Roosters




Yes, I love roosters.  I have them in my kitchen.  What I don't like are bright colored roosters.  Mine are all in pastels.

 My rooster love started when I was a toddler.  My mom had them in her kitchen.  One of my favorites that she had was a rooster lamp.  But like most roosters it was dark wrought iron and bright colors.  I have it hanging above my sink.  I did repaint it in pastel colors to match my kitchen and decoupaged the lampshade in florals.



So, when I found this plaque at the thrift store I knew it would work perfectly in my kitchen.  Not the color but the shape.  

Don't be afraid to buy something if you like it, especially if the ceramic doesn't have a high gloss finish, it is easy to repaint to match your decor.

This plaque measures 7" square.  It's cute but just not the right colors.


I started by painting the entire piece white.

I decided I was going to use aqua, pink, white and Parisian gray.

For the background I dry brushed aqua and gray.  The tail is aqua and blue, the comb I painted pink, then dry brushed a little bit of the gray on the white feathers.  For the basket at the bottom I used gray dry brushed a little heavier on the high points.

To give it a little bling I added pieces of gold foil then when everything was dry I gave just the rooster a coat of Mod Podge for contrast to the matte finish background.




before

And here is my little shabby chic rooster ready to hang in the kitchen.


after


Happy Crafting!









No comments:

Post a Comment