Monday, November 21, 2016

Burlap Table Runner





I have been doing a few little updates around the house.  This rug that I had ordered has arrived .  I really like the distressed look.


My assistant immediately ran over to inspect the new area rug.




I think I have her approval.  She seems to love it and has barely moved off it for the last two days.



 For my new table runner I chose sage green burlap and ivory and white laces and white ribbons.  I thought the sage green burlap was a little dressier look than the normal brown burlap. I plan to use it through the Holidays into New Year's.




  I began by making my table runner by pulling 2 threads, one on each side, were I wanted to cut the width out of the burlap to get the size I needed.  I chose to cut the fabric about 16" wide and used salvage to salvage for the length.  So I pulled one thread out 16" apart.  That is the easiest way to get a straight cut on burlap.


Here you can see where I followed the missing thread to cut my straight side.  You can also see how crooked the piece is  and what I cut off from where the fabric was cut at the store.




Next I took everything to the sewing machine.

I turned over a 1/2" seam to the wrong side and used a wide zig zag stitch on each long edge.


This made a very neat edge without a lot of bulk.




I measured the laces to be sewn to each end and hemmed the ends of all the laces to make a nice finish. Again I turned the edge to the back and zig zagged the raw edges.



Next I stitched the widest lace to both ends of the burlap first.


On top of that I stitched the narrower white lace on top of the ivory lace again using a wide zig zag stitch.



Next I used the two pieces of white satin ribbon to make a bow for each end that I hot glued in place.
I used a lighter to lightly singe the ends of the ribbon to avoid any raveling in the future.


And here is my finished runner.


Happy Crafting!

















No comments:

Post a Comment