Friday, February 17, 2017

Recycled Toilet Paper Roll Bird Houses





More Spring Decorations.

I saw something like this on Pinterest.  But instead of birdhouses those where Christmas Castle Ornaments.  I wanted to make Spring Birdhouses to hang from my mantle.




Here is a rough sketch of the measurements for the birdhouses. Cut 12 small circles and 6 large circles to make 12 birdhouses.  Each large circle is cut in half and rolled into a cone shaped roof.  Plus you will need 12 toilet paper rolls cut to 2 5/8 inches in height.




I started out with a dozen toilet paper rolls and cut them down to 2 5/8" in height.



Then I cut a dozen 2 1/4" circles, with scissors,  from a very light weight corrugated cardboard for the bases.


Next I cut a dozen 41/2" circles from card stock for the roofs.



I cut a small circle in the side of each paper roll with a small paper punch and hot glued each roll to the base.




Next I cut a piece of vintage music to fit the sides of the little houses and used Mod Podge to adhere the the paper.  I also appliedd Mod Podge to the inside top edge and folded the music paper to the inside.









For the roof I made yarn hangers and hot glued them to the inside of each half circle and rolled and glued the half circle to form the cone shaped roof.

yarn for hangers







Then used hot glue to attach the roof to each birdhouse.




After the glue was dry I used Mod  Podge to coat the top of the bases and covered them with silver glitter.




 Then I used 6 colors of glitter, 2 birdhouse in each color, to coat the roof of each house.  I also used hot glue to attach a tiny bird to coordinate with each roof color.















I really love the Spring colors of each of the roofs.  I decorate with a lot of birds and leaves and vines.  I have tables and shelves and lamps each in the leaf and branch theme.  These will fit right in with the rest of the decor around the house.

These could also be made into Christmas ornaments depending on the colors used in the roof and by adding a holly sprig or pine branch to each house.




Happy Crafting!












No comments:

Post a Comment