Tuesday, March 21, 2017

First Day of Spring




Yesterday was the first day of Spring.

 Today even though it is a bit cloudy outside, flowers are in bloom .  So I went out in the yard and snapped a few pictures.

I love all the flowers that bloom this time of the year.  My yard is just starting to come alive.
























With Spring and Summer in mind I finished a small project today.


I had a vintage metal strainer I thought I would re purpose for a summer yard decoration.  I saw a similar one at a vintage sale not too long ago.

I began with some cream colored seam binding.


And the metal strainer.  These are pretty easy to find in second hand stores.



I began by cutting lengths of the seam binding long enough when doubled to extend about a foot beyond the rim of the strainer.  Next I threaded them through the holes spacing them evenly abound the  piece.




Once I had all the binding attached I tied chandelier crystals to the ends of every other set of seam binding pieces.  Leaving half of tales with no crystals to catch the wind.






Then to cover the binding ribbons where they are threaded through the strainer on the outside I made rag roses out of muslin fabric torn about 2 inches by 12 inches and hot glued them to the strainer. After that I glued a rhinestone to the center of each rose.



I also glued 2 more roses to cover where the fine ribbon at the top, I am using to hang this piece, comes through the center. 



And here it is finished and blowing gently in the breeze in my backyard.

I think when the when weather turns and we have no more rain I will hang it from a tree branch so the crystals will catch the sun and the streamers will catch the wind.



Happy Crafting!








No comments:

Post a Comment