Monday, January 30, 2017

French Inspired Picture Frame





At the end of last year I found this black picture frame for $1.00 at a thrift sale because it was missing the cardboard that goes behind the glass.  The glass was taped to the frame and I still need to remove the sticky tape residue from that glass.

I instantly thought it would be so pretty painted in a French gold and white style.

I wanted the details of the scroll work to make a better showing on the frame.  All black it doesn't show it's beautiful details.




Plus there were a lot of chips and dings in the black paint.



I gave the entire piece a coat of off-white chalk paint leaving the recessed areas black to give the piece more dimension.


Again I brush over the raised areas on the frame but this time with a gray color.





Next I hit a few areas with aqua colored paint.



Then I brushed a few areas with pink.  And distressed the edges lightly around the frame.


My final coat of paint was a brilliant white.  Again just hitting a few raised areas on the front of the frame just to tone down the aqua and the pink a bit.


The last thing I applied was a liquid gold leaf to some of the scrolls on the frame.



I just wasn't getting the effect of the gold on the frame in these shots.  I was lucky because today the sun was shining brilliantly and outside I went.



Here you can see a better overall view of the finish.  It appears to be white with only a hint of the aqua and  pink.

A very shabby chic finish.  I think I will add this to the downstairs half bath as soon as I have time and energy to repaint that room.  It will coordinate perfectly with the small oval bisque plaque I bought last time I went to the Vintage Market.






Right now that bath is painted a dark color and since it has no windows the room seems even smaller.  

Can't wait to change it up with a new coat of light paint and add some light accessories to that room including this frame.  Now I just need to decide which picture to add to the frame.



Happy Crafting!













No comments:

Post a Comment