Friday, October 21, 2016

Clean Out The Frig. Soup



I call this "Clean Out the Frig Soup" because I like to make it the day before I go grocery shopping.  They way I use up most of the vegetables from the week and buy fresh ones the next day. The ingredients vary some by what I have in the refrigerator.

But the main ingredients are cabbage, carrots, red pepper, onion, garlic, and celery.  To those vegetables I add any other vegetables that need to be used up.  



Today I added a couple of zucchini and a little soup pasta.

Put these ingredients, except for the cabbage,  in a preheated soup pot with heated olive oil and Saute until tender.



When these are tender add the canned tomatoes, chicken broth and cabbage.



I also like to add a little "Better than Bouillon" soup base at this point, just for a little extra flavor.






Continue cooking until the cabbage is tender. 

 Now add your herbs and seasonings and continue to cook until all the flavors are melded. 



 At this point I added the pasta and continued to cook until the pasta was tender.

pasta

I usually let it simmer on low or put it on my warming burner until I am ready to serve.




Sometimes I will add a little freshly grated Parmesan and a sprig of fresh basil before serving with a crusty French bread.

Great soup on a cold winter's night that doesn't take very long to cook.  We always have enough leftover for the next night, when I am tired from shopping, and the flavors are even better.

Enjoy!



Recipe:

  • ½ head of cabbage, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • 1 cup white or yellow onion, diced
  • 1 cup carrots, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 14 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • and cayenne pepper

    Salt and Pepper to taste

Optional: 

Other vegetables

Better than Bouillon soup base

Parmesan cheese

Sprigs of basil

Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.


Add celery, onions, bell peppers, garlic and carrots.

Saute until slightly tender.

Add in chicken broth tomatoes and cabbage.  Also add optional soup base, if using.

Bring to a boil and then reduce heating simmer until cabbage is tender. Usually takes under 20 minutes.

Stir in oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, cayenne, black pepper and salt.

Add 1/4 cup soup pasta, if using.  Cook until pasta is tender.

Taste broth and adjust seasoning if needed.

Serve with freshly grated Parmesan, sprig of basil and crusty bread.


Happy Cooking!








No comments:

Post a Comment