Friday, October 27, 2017

No More Orange Pumpkin




I bought this faux pumpkin several years ago.  I really love the unusual shape but I was very tired of the bright orange color.  I have been debating for awhile what to do to change the look of this gourd.



I finally chose these three chalk paint colors plus brown and orange acrylic paint.




The first thing that I did was to give the pumpkin a light coat of Serene Blue leaving some of the orange peeking through the blue.

 


Next,  I used the brightest green, Refreshing, on the ridges of the pumpkin,  leaving the valleys with the blue showing.  The contrast is a bit hard to see on camera.  But it does show well in person.




The last coat of paint I used,  just on the center of the ridges, was the gray green, Retro.  I love the mix of colors and shading.



When the body of the pumpkin was dry I lightly painted the stem brown and added thinned down orange paint flicked on with a paint brush.

 

Now this looks like a very artistic pumpkin.  The chalk paint leaves a soft velvety finish.

The last thing I did was to hot glue a couple of brown leaves to the top.  Somewhere along the way, going in and out of storage every year, this pumpkin lost the original leaf.

I actually have 2 of these pumpkins.  Now I need to decide if I want to change the color on that one, too.

This pumpkin can stay out for the entire season until it is time for Christmas decor. It no longer looks so much like Halloween.




Happy Crafting!
.




No comments:

Post a Comment