Thursday, September 28, 2017

Trip to Old Hangtown, CA





I know that is a strange name for a town.  These days the town I grew up in is called Placerville but back in the 1800's it was called Hangtown.

They held swift justice for gold claim jumpers and murderers.  It is said only 3 people where hung from a tree where today stands an ice cream parlor.

The current owners spent many months restoring the beauty to this building.  When I was a kid it was a saloon.  Oh don't you love the wild west.

Here is a little of the wild west the has been saved for future generations.


drawing of Hank Monk famous stage coach driver.


Complete with tin ceilings.




They were able to save a mural that had hung on the wall for many a year of the towns beginnings.



Giant gold pan display




Here it looks like they electrified old railroad lanterns.









And there are tons of old photos and artifacts on the walls.  Everyone from Mark Twain to Horace Greeley and President Grant made their way through here in the early days.  There is even an unmarked grave where Billy the Kid's father was laid to rest.








Here is an early parade.





Mark Twain

Love the shot gun door handles.




You might also recognize some of the houses from town.  Many were used in Thomas Kindade''s paintings.




This one I have hanging in my living room.  I lived in this house in high school. The little diamond shaped window was my bedroom.  





He also did a painting of the bakery I owned downtown.  Nice to have those memories hanging on my walls.

So, there is a little of the history of our little town.


my bakery in the center



Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment