Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Vintage Metal Strainer Up-cycled




My Mother had this vintage metal strainer.  It is too old to use anymore but it makes a really cute Spring decoration.

I went through my stash and found a bird's nest, a faux bird to go with the strainer.  My plan was to add faux succulents and insects.



The first thing I did was to hot glue the nest to the inside of the strainer,  added some natural colored packing shred and then I added a few moss covered sticks I collected last time we were in the mountains.  There had been a wind storm and there were sticks all over the ground.  I also added the bird to the nest.




Next I glued a few pieces of moss around the bird nest.


I chose a few colors of card stock to make faux succulents.  



Using my Big Shot Machine, I cut out my succulents using the Oh So Succulent dies.




Using white ink and the stamp for the succulent tips I stamped each tip.




I also cut out a few grass pieces.




I cut out all the petals.


The next thing was to shade the tip of each petal to resemble real succulents.






Then using a  small brush handle I curved each petal.





Then glued each plant together.





Then it was just a matter of gluing all the succulents in place and adding a bee and a dragonfly I also cut out on my Big Shot.

















I cut a small ribbon from vintage music and added a small succulent to the center.



Lastly I glued a icicle shaped crystal to the bottom hook.




And here is the completed project.  Now I just need to decide where I am going to hang my new bird's nest.

I have several more projects in mind using these dies and stamp set for summer decorating, too.

I love it when I can turn something that would get thrown out and make it into something new.  One less item for the landfill.





Happy Crafting!

















No comments:

Post a Comment