Thursday, October 13, 2016

Upcycled Cabinet Door



I went to the Habitat for Humanity store this week and found the perfect kitchen cabinet to make a chalkboard.  I wanted a door with an arch design at the top and I found the perfect style and size door for my makeover.

The first thing I did was to remove the hinges from the door.


Then I selected my paint colors.



I began by painting the entire door with the white paint, giving the frame 2 coats and the center only one coat since I was planning to cover that section with the black chalkboard paint.



Next I outlined the inner panel with the chalkboard paint and then filled in the entire center panel.


I  left the piece to cure for 24 hours before seasoning with chalk.



I found this metal piece at a thrift store awhile back for $.20, there where actually 5 of them.  What the heck I bought all 5.  I figured one day I would find a use.  So I painted 1 white to go at the bottom of my door.  I also painted 2 wooden knobs white.







When everything was dry I drilled 4 holes, 2 at the top for hanging and 1 on each side for the knobs.







Then I threaded this checkered ribbon through the board and tied into a bowl make the hanger.




I glued the metal piece to the center bottom to hold chalk.




I used the knob on the left to hang a few flowers in a glass vial.



And here is the chalkboard hanging in my entry hall.  Before hanging I added a couple of vine stencils to each upper corner and lightly sanded to distress the edges.  I also added my ceramic yellow and green bird house to the right hand knob.

The aqua key that is hanging to the right of the chalkboard was the actual key to my Mother's antique safe.  I painted it and added the flowers and bling.  It makes an interesting keepsake.


Happy Crafting!
















No comments:

Post a Comment