Thursday, June 9, 2016

Brass Lamp and Lampshade Makeover



Well, we are finally having our first heat wave of the year.  Time to hibernate indoors until the sun goes down.

Last night at about midnight I decided I needed a lamp on the bedside table I just finished.  Hmmm. The only one I could move into the guest room was brass with a dark green shade.  No! Just not right.

I think I get a little daring in the middle of the night. Anyway I decided to paint the lamp aqua.  Now what to do about  the shade.  Well, I read somewhere you can paint fabric with chalk paint.  So that's what I did.


Like I said it was the middle of the night so I forgot to get before pictures.  The shade was dark green like the one above.  And the lamp to the right is very similar to the one I had














I gave the lamp 2 coats of aqua chalk paint.  I really like the color and the shape, now.



The lampshade also took 2 coats of paint.  I used a small stiff brush to work the paint into the trim.

When the paint was dry I used a stencil with gray chalk paint to add the focal medallion.  I was initially concerned that the very dark green fabric would be difficult to hide.  But no, the paint completely covered the dark color.



The lamp gives off a nice soft light for bedside the bed.  Not too bright and glaring.  I have a reading light that is mounted on the wall directly over the bed.  So there is need for bright light from this lamp.


Now I just might have to paint the reading light shade to match this lamp.  I will have to give that some thought.  The fixture is also shiny brass.  Maybe I will paint that to match this lamp, also.





Happy Crafting!




No comments:

Post a Comment