Thursday, December 3, 2015

Altered Fairy Dust Cigar Box with Hidden Compartment


Today is a gorgeous day.  Sunny and warm for a Fall day.

We went to go out to dinner last night and our car decided to act up and the check engine light came on.  Well,  $500.00 later it is feeling fine again.
Don't you just love it when your car acts up and your not a mechanic?

For today's project I altered a wooden cigar box.  I call it my fairy dust box.
Again, I used my favorite paper, DCWV in the primrose pattern.  There are so many different papers in this collection the results all coordinate yet look so different depending on the combinations used.

 First thing I did was paint the box with white chalk paint.  On this box I used the harlequin glittered paper.   Distressed the paper and the box.  On the top I cut out 3 of the tags, distressed the edges and layered them  Added some lace, some rhinestones, a little velvet bow and mulberry flowers.


On the front of the box I cut a lace medallion with pearls from a piece of lace and hot glued it in place. Around the top edge I cut a piece of border lace from the top of a larger piece.


Continued the paper all around the box.


close up of flower details

close up of tag detail
I continued on the inside of the lid with the same paper.  Added another cut out tag, a small piece of lace, a white rose, a couple of  butterflies and a saying I printed out from Pinterest.  Then added a row of rhinestones for more bling.  Gotta have my bling.


Tucked inside the box is an altered jar filled filled with fairy dust.



Detail of jar with on of my handmade flowers
I partially filled the jar with glitter, mica flakes and white pearls to create my fairy dust.


I made a satin pillow lightly filled with fiberfill for the fairy jar to rest on and underneath I covered the bottom with paper that I only partially glued down.  Leaving one corner loose.  I used hot glue to glue the satin pillow together.



As you can see under the loose paper there is a cut out for lifting the false bottom I created by lining the box with 1 inch strips of cardboard on all 4 sides and cutting a piece for the false bottom to fit snuggly on top.

loos corner of paper
  Under my false bottom I used a little fiberfill and a piece of ivory chiffon to cover the bottom of the box to make a soft area for any hidden treasures.  Again I used hot glue to secure the chiffon in place.




Happy Crafting!





















No comments:

Post a Comment